“Anyone can become angry — that is easy, but to be angry with the right person at the right time, and for the right purpose and in the right way — that is not within everyone’s power and that is not easy.”
– Aristotle (Greek Philosopher, Scientist, and Physician, 384 BCE – 322 BCE)
This blog was created more or less as a joke: a place to complain about the inane and ludicrous things that annoy me, so that I could get on with my life. Overhyped movies, governmental stupidity, human frailty… it’s easy to get caught up in the irritations of life. However, despite what this web site might lead you to believe, I am, by nature, not an angry or bitter person. I prefer to be upbeat and optimistic.
Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.
Here are some things I am grateful for, in no particular order:
- The love of my life, who makes me a better person through her example.
- My mother, for raising myself and my sisters to be relatively sane, relatively responsible adults.
- My sisters and sisters-in-law, for raising children who might make their generation something worth celebrating some day.
- That I am warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and dry when it rains.
- Water that is abundant, inexpensive, and clean.
- Work that I genuinely enjoy.
- That the worst thing I realistically have to fear while traveling is being treated disrespectfully by a TSA flunkie.
- Inexpensive, reliable electricity.
- That the people who staff our government are usually too busy fighting each other to pay much attention to the rest of us.
- That I am so wealthy that I can throw socks away rather than darning them, and not even think about it.
- That I still have friends, despite my boorish and inconsiderate nature.
- That I am not as boorish and inconsiderate as I once was.
- Medical care that is effective, inexpensive, and widely available.
- That I have traveled beyond the horizon in all four directions.