Here is how I play music (MP3 files) into a Google Hangout.
- Windows 10 desktop
- Wireless headset with over-the-ear type headphones
- Install Virtual Audio Cable. Don’t mess with the settings. Just install it.
- Run “Audio repeater (MME)”, which was installed by Virtual Audio Cable.
- Set “Wave in” to your headset microphone.
- Set “Wave out” to Line 1 (Virtual Audio cable).
- Set “Total buffer (ms)” to 100.
- Click “Start”.
- In the task icon area of the taskbar, right-click the speaker, and select “Recording Devices”.
- Right-click the headset microphone, and select “Set as Default Device”.
- Double-click Line 1. On the Listen tab, select “Listen to this device”.
- Also on the Listen tab, set “Playback through this device” to the headset.
- Run Chrome.
- In Chrome, go to Google Hangouts, and click “Video Call”.
- When the Hangouts window opens, click the gear icon in the upper right corner. On the General tab…
- Select the webcam for the “Video”.
- Select Line 1 for the “Microphone”.
- Select the headset for the “Speakers”.
- Open VLC Media Player.
- Add songs to the playlist.
- In the Audio menu, select Audio >> Audio Device >> Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable).
- Invite people to join the hangout.
- Play songs in VLC. Other people in the Hangout will hear them. To avoid drowning myself out, I set the VLC output level to about 90%.
Here are the settings I used to record in Flashback Express.
- In the Tools >> Options menu, look in the Sound section.
- Under Sound Source, select “PC Speakers (what you hear)”.
- In the drop-down under “PC Speakers (what you hear)”, select the headset.
- Now, when recording in Flashback Express, check “Record Sound”.
- Still in Flashback Express, in the sound section, check “Record Sound”, and for the source select “Speakers (Logitech G930 Headset)”.
When done with the hangout
- Close the Hangout window.
- Click “Stop” in Audio Repeater, and close it.
- In the Windows “Sound” dialog, select “Recording Devices”.
- Double-click Line 1. On the Listen tab, un-select “Listen to this device”.
- Click “Okay”.
- Close VLC Media Player.